1.06.2009

One Modeler to Rule Them All

Strange thought - is it possible to have one modular modelling application, that is streamlined for basic users, and modular, web-based variations for different trades? 

Thinking about this, when I am working in an architectural application, I am just layering a level of attributes around my geometry to define how it should behave and schedule. If I am doing product design, similarily I can tag my geometry for material definitions, strengths, etc. If I am engineering for fabrication, I want to be able to plug my analytics into the geometry definitions. If I am just modeling for rendering or 3D printing, I am just streamlining to material properties and parametrics.

If I am hitting an online model, could this not entail a similar d/base back-end, but the flexible front-end based upon the tasks needed? Equally perplexing, but could the export flow be similar, and get us to a world where we do not need to worry about file translations but a universal, open source (real open source, not this IFC crap) format that is designed around flexibility and power processing, or even moving away from total file migration into file captures that can be pulled into various applications?

Hmmm......

No comments: